- Job Type:
- Date Posted:
- Now Expired
THIS JOB HAS NOW EXPIRED.
BBC Travel News is part of BBC Future Media’s News and Knowledge department, which employs nearly 200 people and deals with high volume and respected sites such as News, Weather and Food. BBC Travel News www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews provides the audience with a ‘one-stop shop’ for traffic and transport incident reports, updated around the clock, around the country. The BBC Travel News site is visited by around 350,000 users in the UK each week, but peaks to over 1 million users when we have severe weather events like snow leading to widespread traffic and transport disruption. Both the website and mobile site are built on a dynamic infrastructure, developed by a multi-disciplinary agile team.
This role will be based in Cardiff.
BBC FM&T News & Knowledge is looking for an experienced, professional and enthusiastic software engineer to join a world-class team working on a variety of BBC Online products and services. The role requires extensive experience of software development and web frameworks, RESTful web services, security, caching, architecting for performance, MySQL and web standards, along with proven experience of working in a mixed discipline team on large scale web application projects.
Additionally your duties will include:
- Work with Technical Architect & other Software Engineers to specify, design and implement service tier components that are efficient, scaleable, well abstracted and employ a mix of server side technologies
- Build comprehensive unit and functional test coverage using automated test driven techniques to ensure code quality
- Work with closely with web developers to ensure seamless integration between service and page assembly layers
- Work with test and operations teams to troubleshooting and resolve issues throughout the life cycle, co-ordinating with other software engineers activities as required
- Monitor work against the production schedule closely, provide progress update reports and manage any issues or technical difficulties with senior colleagues on a regular basis
- Learn new and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
The ideal candidate will have experience writing software for large scale Java web applications. They will have demonstrable competence in one or more mainstream OO web development frameworks. They will have experience of developing code within a UNIX environment, demonstrable experience of using relevant Open Source technologies, extensive experience of relational database and SQL query design and experience of RESTful web service design. They will be at ease working in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles, extensive experience of project working and professional web development processes, experience of Agile development methodologies and extensive experience of working in a test-driven development environment. The ideal candidate would have extensive experience of working with JUNIT and Mocking Framework: Mockito, experience with Hibernate & Spring, familiarity with MySQL database concepts, and an ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions. They will have experience of version control automation, extensive experience of writing monitoring hooks and using performance benchmarking tools and extensive experience of writing secure code.
The BBC’s unique position as a public service broadcaster brings both big opportunities and big responsibilities for the people that work here. If you join us, we’ll expect a lot from you – but you’ll have the chance to work in a role that will challenge and stretch you. Career devel...View This Employers Profile >>
Latest Jobs with BBC
Submit your CV*
Not for you? Share it!
Other Jobs like this